RESTAURANTS & WINERIES
Whalesong Lodge guesthouse is located close to several premier wine regions, including the Hemel en Aarde Valley. This appellation has already established itself as one of the premier viticulture sites in the Cape, traditionally specializing in Pinot noir and Chardonnay. In South African terms it is seen as one of the coolest vineyard sites, with the ability to create wines of finesse, balance and complexity and is unique as the only appellation in the Cape where every vineyard has a view of the nearby Atlantic Ocean. Here’s our guide to the best restaurants in Gansbaai, De Kelders and beyond.
It is advisable to book ahead for many restaurants, we would be delighted to make reservations on your behalf.
WALKING DISTANCE FROM WHALESONG
- Kloeks@home- an intimate little house restaurant, blackboard menu Enjoy the fireplace on cold winter nights. Bring your favourite wine along to complete the experience.
- Our neighbour, Gayle, runs Coffee on the Rocks, a coffee shop which is open from Wed-Sun, 10h00 -17h00, perfect for lunch, if you don’t feel like driving.
GANSBAAI (3KM AWAY)
- Rosemary- is like going back in time! An experience not just about food but eras now almost forgotten.
- Blue Goose: housed in one of the original Stone Fisherman’s Cottage, Seafood & steak
STANFORD (15 MINUTES DRIVE)
- Graze (Dinner Friday night, breakfast/lunch Saturday)
- Coffee Corner
If you would like to visit Hermanus there are a huge number of restaurants available. Ask us for our current recommendations.
We have put together a list of our favourite Wine Estates that you are able to visit. (Open Mon to Fri, Sat half day), you will also find some of their wines on our wine list.
HEMEL EN AARDE VALLEY
- Bouchard Finlayson;
- Newton Johnson; and
- our favourite, Creation, who do a great food and wine pairing, and they are open on Sundays
- Raka Wines is nestled in the Kleinrivier Valley 17km out of Stanford on the R326. Taste my favourite, the award winning Biography Shiraz.
- Stanford Hills is home to our Pinotage and source of one of our Grappas. Great informal place to have a wine tasting and a bite to eat.
On your way to the southern tip of Africa is the newest wine region of South Africa. Located next to Elim, you will find Zoetendal and Black Oystercatcher, on the road to Wolvengat you will find the southernmost cellar in Africa: Strandveld Wines
- Fresh food market @Graze in Stanford 09:00 – 11:00: local, organic fresh produce.
- Stanford Saturday Morning Market from 09:00 – 11:00 on the verandah of the Stanford Hotel – find locally grown fresh produce and locally made breads, pastries, pies, quiches and more.
- Hermanus Country Market from 09:00 – 13:00: a great morning out with plenty of food stalls as well as locally made handicrafts.
- Hermanuspietersfontein Market from 09:00 – 13:00: another great option for Saturday mornings, the focus is on food and the wines of the host winery.
- Gansbaai Farmer’s Market 09:00 – 14:00: offering farm fresh produce, oven fresh based bread & pastries, fish from the grill, indigenous plants, craft beer and local wines.
LAST FRIDAY OF THE MONTH (SEPTEMBER TO MAY)
- Stanford Sunset Market from 18:00 – 20:00 on the Market Square: live music, local wines and beers, artisanal food and gift stalls.